We all need something to look forward to. Travel is a luxury which fulfils our dreams as we begin our journey into retirement. 82% of over 55s surveyed by Age UK say they aspire to travel in later life. It’s the first thing many people plan as soon as they retire.
The perfect getaway can be scenic, cultural, entertaining, sporting, relaxing or challenging. What type of holiday will you splash out on?
- Relaxing in a luxurious hotel by a beach of white sand
- Trekking or sky-diving to achieve an adrenalin-rich challenge
- Flying to far-flung corners of the globe on a tour of exotic destinations.
Buying a park home is an excellent opportunity to put aside the cash for a new life – including travelling the world.
The difference between the sale price of your family home and a luxury park home at Lakeshore will free up the money you need to finance your new lifestyle.
Once it’s clear how much your pension pot is worth, and the amount of regular income you can rely on receiving, you’re ready to book your first major trip. Retirees often set aside a generous amount for imminent trips and many others later.
With your new park home fully fitted and furnished, there is no need to set aside money for repairs, improvements or alterations. Instead, you can spend money (and time) on things you love – like travel.
Are you the type of person who likes holidays to be arranged for you? Or do you like to research and create your own travel itinerary?
- Design your own holiday with the help of Age UK. Their Silver Travel Advisers help people plan the tailor-made trip they’ve always dreamed of in Europe and long-haul.
- Independent travel agents like Travel Counsellors Burton Waters specialise in arranging bespoke long-haul holidays and multi-destinations as well as last minute getaways for the newly retired.
- Perhaps you prefer to browse through the pages of a brochure. The nearest travel agent to Burton Waters is Imp Travel in Lincoln city centre.
Appeal to your adventurous side
Would you like to cross the English Channel in a private plane? When you fly with Wingly, you can. Wingly pairs travellers with the pilots of light aircraft when you register to book using their website.
Favourite holiday destinations
There is of course a world of choice when it comes to holidays. Here is a small sample of ideas.
- What type of cruise would float your boat? Take to the ocean – or river – in a different kind of sailing vessel when you book yourself a paddle-wheeler cruise on the Queen of the Mississippi. Seek the ultimate luxury of a Cunard cruise. Or take a Fjord sightseeing cruise in Norway.
- If you have family and friends in Australia or New Zealand you’ll be looking to cross continents to spend time with them. No longer will you feel pressured by cutting short a long-haul trip to see loved ones because you must return to work. You are retired and can extend your stay.
- Walk for a cause. Charities and volunteer organisations arrange hikes along the Inca Trail in Macchu Picchu, Peru, and the Great Wall of China. Trek with your favourite charity and raise funds while achieving a personal goal. People in their 60s and 70s are running marathons, iron woman triathlons and sailing round the world. It’s your time to shine. The future has never looked brighter for the over 55s.
- The world is rich with national parks and opportunities to help endangered species. See the last 3 remaining northern white rhinos in Kenya’s Ol Pejeta Conservancy and help preserve the endangered cheetah, monitored by the Ecological Monitoring Unit. 30% of Zambia’s landscape is made up of national parks and if you can’t wait for your trip to arrive, subscribe to Zambia Wildlife Sightings on YouTube. Get close to nature on a wildlife holiday with Wildlife Travel – rich in natural history, wild flowers and bird life.
- Are cities your thing? From must-visit Asian cities, city-to-city rail journeys, great American road trips and picturesque small towns – there’s an atlas of adventures for you to search and explore.
Prepare to travel
- Talk to your health nurse about vaccinations you may need for some Asian and African long-haul trips.
- Take out the right health insurance policy. Check carefully what the cover includes and resist skimping on price – make sure you’re protected. Your health matters
Before you sit down to plan your next holiday, come and visit us at Lakeshore, Burton Waters.
Luxury retirement living for over 55s singles and couples at Lakeshore
We invite you to view our luxurious park homes at Lakeshore, Burton Waters where you are assured of a warm welcome.